Sunday, March 17, 2013

Oh Lord, I Like It

Last term, I said that I would try and keep you updated on the wonderful world of football every week. As you may have noticed, that didn't exactly work out very well as I found it incredibly taxing and found Ididn't have the proper knowledge to elaborate on the games. So from here on out, I think I'll stick to what I know best: gaming and music.

I'm sure everyone knows the band Queen, having written famous tunes such as "Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Are the Champions," or perhaps the most well known "We Will Rock You." While they are a fantastic band, they are not the main focus of this post. Rather, I'd like to bring the spotlight upon an artist that most people probably haven't heard of. They're called Foxy Shazam and they make a wonderful flashback to seventies-era rock. The reason I brought up Queen to introduce this band is because of one reason: the lead singer sounds so much like him. He even mimics similar mannerisms as Freddie Mercury did back in the day. However, don't take them as some copycat band as they have plenty of variety among their music. The first song I heard by them was called "Oh Lord" and is stark contrast to some of their other, more rock-oriented songs.

First of all, the song, and band in general, contains instruments that the average conventional band doesn't have. For instance, the typical band doesn't have a trumpet, yet the song opens with a trumpet solo. They utilize this unique trait to great effect in not only the song but their music in the general sense. The song also shows a bit of a softer side to some of its other material, being about the lead singer's son. Which brings the question forth of the meanings of their songs. While their meanings may not always be very clear, they are typically fairly simple meanings. Before one of their live performances of "Evil Thoughts," lead singer Eric Nally told the audience that it's about how everyone cries and it's okay to cry if you feel like it.While I'm not sure if the message gets across in the song, still a simple message that carries weight for most people. These are the things, I think, that make Foxy Shazam a band worth listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment