Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Wall

1. Another brick in the wall is what some people say

2. About people's lives and much to my dismay,

3. I'm now stuck at the Wall, being bricked off for years

4. Saying I'm comfortably numb but I still wish you were here

5. But still after everything I can't seem to find

6. They way to my problem and leave it behind

7. Until I encountered the obstacle I needed

8. To carry out my actions, outcomes unheeded.

9. Smash goes the Wall so I may let myself shine,

10. Smash goes the Wall that I might claim what is mine

11. And as I step through the hole atop bricks and debris

12. I stand a shining new man, the man I wanted to be.


Lines 1-12: Analogy. Meant to convey the message of overcoming an obstacle.

Line 1: Metaphor. Another brick in the wall is used to describe life events that occur that build upon a "wall" used to separate yourself from others.

Line 3: Symbolism. The Wall represents a physical representation of an abstract barrier that one must overcome.

Line 4: Oxymoron. Comfortably numb contrasts the two words.

Lines 1, 3 and 4: Allusion. "Another Brick in the Wall," "Comfortably Numb" and "Wish You Were Here" are all songs by the band Pink Floyd and The Wall is one of their albums. The first builds upon the Wall that represents the problem at hand. The other two songs are used to contrast, showing that while he says he's fine with the problem he wishes it was gone.

Lines 9 and 10: Onomatopoeia and Anaphora. These were used to emphasize the overcoming of the obstacle through a loud "noise" and the repeated act that caused it.

Lines 11 and 12: Imagery. I wanted to give the final image of standing triumphantly over the now conquered obstacle.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say besides the fact that this is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, and while I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan, the allusions to the lyrics were familiar to me. The rhyming is nice, although I wonder if some commas midline or more line breaks might help support and reinforce your rythm.

    Nice job.

    ReplyDelete