Sunday, October 7, 2012

Acception of Rejection

Last week, as many of my classmates already know and may have posted about, was our homecoming weekend. Now, school dances have never really been my thing. I went my freshman year because come on who doesn't their freshman year? Again, sophomore year I went, but about halfway through I switched groups, "stole" my friend's date, left about an hour early with the second group, and drove around with them with us all piled in the back seat. By the way, from when we left until about midnight was the best part of the night. And to demonstrate even further how much I don't like school dances, last year instead of going I went to a friend's house, played Left 4 Dead until one in the morning and spray painted random things gold solely because we had a can of unused gold spray paint and proceeded to wake up at five thirty the next morning for a band competition in Minnesota. It was most likely the best decision I had made that night.

Some at this point are probably asking themselves, "Why does he hate school dances so much?" Well, little boys and girls, I will tell you. Half the reason I go to a dance is for the music. If I don't like the majority of the music there, which I don't, why should I go? The other part that goes in tandem with this is the reason they can be fun is because of the friends you go with. Hanging out with your friends and dancing around like idiots is the only other reason I go to these things. But if you do the math, half is failing, meaning if I were to grade a dance based on these two criteria, it would definitely receive an "F." So Why did I go this year?

There are two primary answers to this question. The first is the obvious, "because it's my senior year and my last one." The second gets a little more in depth into a bit of personal viewpoint. The first two times, I had no date to homecoming. Why? Because I was spineless and cowardly and too much of a (forgive the expression) pussy to man up and ask someone. My junior year I told myself that if the girl I asked said no, I wouldn't go, so you can guess how well that went. But this year was a little different. Over the summer, something happened to me, much for the better. I figured something out; rejection is never as scary as you think it is. I know everyone will tell you this but believe me I know how hard it is. When I asked my date to homecoming this year, I wasn't thinking of whether or not she would reject me. All my mind was focused on was just asking her. And you know what? She actually said yes. And as soon as you experience both that and rejection, you can never accept that rejection is nothing. I mean, there I was unable to believe that, in my eyes, one of the most attractive girls in the school just said yes to me. Do you know how much of a confidence boost that was? What I'm trying to say is that whenever it comes down to asking someone out or anything of the sort, don't think about any of the possible outcomes and just do it. I promise you won't regret it.
WC: 578

No comments:

Post a Comment