Sunday, October 14, 2012

Marching Madness

This past week was been pretty hectic with various aspects. Homework, church and preparing for auditions for concert band this coming week as well as juggling free time with friends have kept me pretty stretched for time on certain days. Not to mention having to give up going to certain events because you're too busy doing something else. Despite everything though, the week has been pretty eventful (even if those events were part of the reason I couldn't do anything during that time).

Even though it's technically not part of this week, last Saturday I marched my last Valley competition in Des Moines. Being one of the few marching seniors that can actually say they've marched all four years, this was a bit of a shock to me, but I didn't grasp the reality of what that actually meant at first. I mean, I remember my first time marching there I didn't know half of what the hell I was even doing. I pretty much just tried to remember my music, get to about roughly where my spot in the drill was, stay in step, and hope to God I got the visuals right. But this year, I knew my music and could play it solid with good tone. I not only knew where my spot was, but also who I was standing by and where I needed to be in the form (which is much more important than the actual spot). Staying in step by now is almost second nature to me (even when we have to step off on the wrong foot). And the visuals? I kicked their butts and nailed them every single time. And in complete honesty, that was probably the best I had marched that show the entire year.

Friday night was our last football game performance and senior night for the football team, dance team cheerleaders and last but most definitely not least the marching band. It wasn't until that moment when I was walking down the track that it really hit me. I thought to myself for a second, "Holy crap! I'm a senior now! This is my last performance!" That was scary as hell to think about. But it's also kind of exciting. No more late night rehearsals, no more getting home at two in the morning (which I didn't mind that much anyway), no more sitting in the stands at Valley in thirty degree weather (which again I didn't mind much anyway). Most people when thinking about this would probably be incredibly happy and in a way, I am. But by the same token, I know that I'm going to miss all of it. You see, marching band isn't just a sport. Hell, most people don't even classify it as a sport. It takes hard work and dedication just like any other sport would. However, it really is a family more than anything (pardon the cliche). Things get hard and you feel like you just want to give up, but you're "family" is always there to help you get through it and keep going. When your band director makes you so mad you just want to flip a table, you remember that you wouldn't be anywhere without them. And when you're having a bad day and need someone to cheer you up, you can always count on your "family" to do so.
WC: 561

No comments:

Post a Comment