Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chevy Chevelle

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of rock music and other rock variants across the entire music spectrum. If you haven't picked up on it by now, when I find a good band that I really like, I tend to listen to them a crap ton by creating a Pandora station of them, because they always play a song by whoever the radio station is named after every so many songs. If you don't know what Pandora is, then you must be cut off to modern technology as most people have one, or at the very least know about it. Nevertheless, I shall explain. Pandora is a personal radio hub where yo can set up different radio stations based on songs, artists or genres. If you choose an artist, it will not only play songs by that artist but also songs from artists similar to that particular musician (or "musician" depending on your music preferences). I can't tell you how many Pandora stations I've created just from discovering a band I wanted to hear more from.This next band is in no way contrary to the previous examples.
My latest, let's call it an obsession, is with a little band by the name of Chevelle. Now I hope when I say that everyone thinks of the older model Chevy by the same name, but if you didn't then I guess that's okay. Of course those are probably the same people that's rather listen to some horribly written pop song over music that's actually good, but I digress. I remember the first song I heard by Chevelle back during freshman year. I was going through a rough time and had borrowed my friend's iPod, him having heavier stuff than on my Sansa. I came across a song entitled "Send the Pain Below" by the aforementioned band, that basically describes masking the pain you may be feeling and send it away. It later foreshadows that, while it may be good at the time and give you temporary peace of mind, eventually it can eat away at you and hurt you even worse, "much like suffocating." One of their other hits, "The Red," talks about anger and how it can sometimes escalate to the point where you just release it in a flurry of violence. However, don't misunderstand as it does not condone any violence in any way. But the latest song that I've fallen in love with by them is called "Saferwaters" even after only hearing it once. It has the same kind of feel musically as "Send the Pain Below" without actually repeating rhythms or melody.
WC: 432

No comments:

Post a Comment