Sunday, September 9, 2012

Feel Good Summer

When we were in one of the merch tents at Lifelight, I came across a table for Solid State and Tooth & Nail records. They had various CDs laid out across the table, some that I'd heard of, some that I hadn't. But in particular, there were two bands that caught my eye; Anberlin and Demon Hunter. Both of these I had heard maybe one or two songs by them, but pretty much just figured I would like most of their other stuff. I bought a pack of both bands' first three CDs for the low, low price of fifteen dollars. That's right, do the math: six CDs for fifteen dollars. And so begins my latest musical obsession.
I first heard of Demon Hunter two years ago after the 2010 Lifelight festival from a music sampler through Tooth & Nail records. The song featured was called "Collapsing" and it had quite a bit of meaning in it. I feel it was talking about how this person didn't like the way his life was going and he's losing faith in himself, turning to harming himself and just wanting to give up on life. Not only does this hurt himself, but as explained in the second verse, "I know the pain that lies within you, I feel it too," it also hurts the ones around them as well. But one of he songs I've been listening to a lot is called "Summer of Darkness." I haven't quite deciphered the meaning behind this song, but maybe I just keep getting distracted by the pure awesomeness of it all.
Last year, one of my friends posted on my Facebook wall a video of a song by a band named Anberlin. After listening to it, I hit replay...about ten times. It's pretty easy to see I fell in love with this song. After buying the CD this past weekend, my love for it was been renewed with an even greater fervor than before. The song is called "The Feel Good Drag" and just by listening to the song, it's not that hard to tell the entire theme is about one of the seven deadly sins: lust. The entire song talks about a relationship that was built upon lies and an unhealthy foundation, suggesting that she was cheating on him, hence the lyrics, "was this over before it ever began?" It also calls her out on things she may have used as a sort of "leash" if you will ("your kiss, your calls, your crutch," "your lips, your lies, your lust,") and how "the devil's got her hands." It continues with how much he regrets going out with her and how he he hated himself for falling for all of her tricks.
WC: 421

No comments:

Post a Comment