Sunday, September 23, 2012

Response to MM

In light of recent events, I'd like to touch on something that my good blogger friend Music Man talked about in one of his blogs. He was explaining what makes a good song by comparing Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" to, as MM put it, "(insert horrible Nickelback song title here)" and, in another post, how lyrics are better if they have something to be interpreted. I completely agree with him on this in a lot of ways. But I'd like to focus on the latter of these issues for this post.
Everyone has their own personal tastes in music, but there are some types of music that I will refute completely (such as Nickelback). Just going off the topic of lyrics, a lot of bands word things much better in a more figurative way that makes the overall song better. Even when a song is talking about something like sex, "like a ukulele mama made a baby, really don't mind to practice cause you're my little lady" ("Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson) sounds so much better than "you look so much cuter with something in your mouth" ("Something in Your Mouth" by Nickelback). Seriously what happened to good music with lyrics that actually meant something? Or maybe had a rhythm comprised of more than just straight eighth and quarter notes? Why do people just decide to follow the flock of sheep into mainstream music when you can barely call it music anymore?
Today I'd like to share with you one of my favorite songs that actually has good song elements in it. If you refer back to my first post, I talked about a band called Rise Against and how, in light of a better word, obsessed I am with them. The song I'm currently referring to is off their fourth album, The Sufferer and the Witness (my favorite album), titled "The Good Left Undone." The whole song, as I understand it, is about what's called unrequited love, or one-sided love. It starts by talking about a flower in "fields where nothing grew but weeds," most likely referring to a girl that seems to stand out among all the other average girls. Continuing the analogy, he uproots the flower and "finds what he's been missing" by taking this girl out hanging out with her, finding a kind of new meaning in his life. But as the second verse implies, things are not as they may seem. It goes on to say that the dried up petals of this flower fall to the ground. I take this to mean that while the guy may really like this girl, the girl may not be happy being with him. Because he likes her so much, he decides to let her go and "return this flower to the dirt." The chorus explains just how haunted he is by the memory of this girl and how he only dreams of "drowning in the ocean." I love this song because of the analogous comparison of the flower to the relationship of these two people and how it ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING!!!!! If you have heard this song before and have another interpretation of it or any further comments, please let me know. If you haven't heard this song, I highly recommend that you check out the video for it.
WC: 499

No comments:

Post a Comment