Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fun in Sioux Falls

Whenever you go back to school after an extended weekend, many of your friends and teachers always want to know the exact same question, "What did you do over your weekend?" I know even after a regular weekend I always have a chance of having to answer the this question (in Japanese too, nonetheless). While I typically don't enjoy answering most times, due to my lack of adventures over most weekends, this past labor day weekend I was so excited I was on the verge of giddy. Why you ask? The reason is quite simply one word: Lifelight.
If you don't know what Lifelight is, then I highly suggest you climb out from under that rock you've been hiding under and please listen to the following explanation. Lifelight is a three day long music festival comprised of various Christian musical talents over the labor day weekend. It takes place in Sioux Falls, South Dakota so if people under that rock know about it then it's gotta be good. They have two main stages, one for mainly worship music and the other for rock, each with several big and small name musical acts leading up to a headlining band to finish the day out. It also has a smaller "coffeehouse" stage and 360 "dance" stage as well as various food vendors and merch tents for both the bands performing and the festival itself. Now that you know what Lifelight actually is, let's talk a little bit about the bands that were there this year. And to do so I'll be reviewing the performances of some of my favorites.

Artist: Peter Furler/Phil Joel (former Newsboys members)
Genre: Pop Rock/Worship
Overview: I've already seen Newsboys both with and without frontman Peter Furler, but I've never seen Phil Joel with them, or even on his own for that matter. When you put them together, though, playing songs from each of their solo work as well as songs from they wrote when in the band, it's a really interesting experience for those that have followed the band especially. Even if you're just finding out about these two artists, they put on a pretty good show through humor and worship (not to mention the obvious musical element).

Artist: Skillet
Genre: Metal
Overview: This concert is most probably the best concert I've ever been to. Skillet is one of my favorite christian bands and was the biggest attraction at the festival and they definitely lived up to expectations and more. The general experience, the irony of squished by a fervor of shoving idiots during their hit "Hero", the appearance of a light-up monster head during their single "Monster", pyrotechnics; all of these add their own unique part of the Skillet experience. I overheard one of the merchants in the merchandise tent say they used 2 tons of pyrotechnics consisting of various types of fireworks, showers of sparks and columns of flame. They even had rising platforms, including the drummer's which actually spun around. One warning to all who attend such a concert, the following may be side effects of Skillet: temporary hearing loss, loss of voice, sore neck (headbanging) and any other random accidents that could happen.

Artist: Five Iron Frenzy
Genre: Ska
Overview: Okay I already know what you're thinking: what the hell kinda music is ska? It's actually like a mix of jazz and rock complete with trombone, saxophone and trumpet. I originally heard of this band from one of my friends late last year and had already had some experience with ska music from a band called Less Than Jake. At first, I didn't think they were that big of a deal and was a little confused at how they were able to get the ten 'o clock spot, on the Souled Out (rock) stage, usually reserved for huge names. Boy was I wrong! Imagine my surprise when I see a crowd that rivaled even Skillet's audience the night before. I did a little research and found out that the band actually broke up in 2003 and didn't start up again until 2011 (explaining how they've only had seven performances in ten years). And I cannot tell you how happy I am they did get back together. The performance was great, consisting of a lot of humor, including some of the lyrics that the band used in their songs.

Other great performances I highly recommend: Triple Stitch, The Wedding, Children 18:3, Silverline
WC: 738

No comments:

Post a Comment